Unison Tax Rebate


If you work in healthcare and you pay subscriptions to Unison you may be due a tax rebate.


In 2007, UNISON agreed a deal with HMRC to let members in the following “qualifying” sectors claim tax relief on their subscriptions:

Nursing sector
Ambulance sector
Voluntary sector
Professional and Technical ‘A’ sector
Professional and Technical ‘B’ sector
Senior and General Manager sector

If you worked in any of these sectors can you claim tax relief on your Unison subscriptions. For a detailed list of the jobs included in these sectors, see the appendix at the bottom of this article.

Unison subscriptions are linked to the amount you earn; depending on the amount you earn you could be due up to £75 per year in tax back.

Can I claim for anything else?

You may also be able to claim for some of the expenses of doing your job. Here are some of the common ones:

1. Upkeep of uniform and specialist clothing

If you wear a uniform and you are required to wash it yourself you can claim a flat rate allowance for this. It’s typically worth between £12 and £25 per year.


2. Registrations for regulated professions

If you are part of a regulated profession you may be required to pay a registration fee. These are to bodies such as the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council), HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council, formerly the HPC), GPhC (General Pharmaceutical Council) and the GDC (General Dental Council).  Typically this is worth around £20 per year in tax, however depending on your job and the amount of tax you pay it could be worth more than £200 per year.

3. Other professional memberships

You can also claim for membership of other organisations such as the RCN (Royal College of Nursing), the RCM (Royal College of Midwives), the SoR (Society of Radiographers), IBMS (Institute of Biomedical Science), RPS (Royal Pharmaceutical Society). Typically these subscriptions are worth £50 to £60 per year in tax.

You can find a full list of the qualifying bodies here on HMRC’s website: HMRC list 3

Can I backdate my claim?

You can backdate your claim over the previous 4 tax years, even if you’ve had multiple jobs or left your qualifying job. For the current and future tax years you can get tax relief through your tax code which means you’ll get a bit less tax deducted from your pay packet.

How do I claim?

If you enter your details at www.healthcareworkertaxrebate.co.uk you can get the forms to start your claim straight away.

Appendix – Qualifying Sectors

Nursing sector

The Nursing sector covers the whole nursing family including nurses, midwives, health visitors and healthcare assistants working in the community, schools, mental health, dentistry, GP practices, learning disabilities, maternity care, hospitals and the prison service.

Ambulance sector

The Ambulance sector covers all grades of ambulance staff and paramedics serving in every ambulance service in the United Kingdom.

Voluntary Sector

The Voluntary sector covers members who work for a non-NHS voluntary sector organisation (such as a charity, community group or social enterprise) providing services such as home, residential or day care, or rehabilitation and social work.

Senior and General Managers’ sector

The Senior and General Managers’ sector covers heads of services, directors, assistant directors, professional managers, organisers, co-ordinators and team leaders within the NHS and its support services.

Professional and Technical ‘A’ sector

The Professional and Technical ‘A’ sector covers members who, prior to Agenda for Change, came under the PTA section of the Whitley Council pay structure, including members working in areas such as art, music and drama therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, psychology, orthoptics, dietetics, chiropody and radiography.

Professional and Technical ‘B’ sector

The Professional and Technical ‘B’ sector comprises professional and technical staff covered by the old PTB Whitley Council working as operating department practitioners and assistants and those working in anaesthetics, chaplaincy, counselling, dialysis, estates management, optometry, phlebotomy, podiatry, prosthetics and orthotics, sexual health, healthcare scientists including clinical scientists who work in biochemistry, gastroenterology, haemotology, haemostasis and thrombosis, microbiology, immunogenetics and histocompatibility, immunology molecular genetics, medical physics, respiratory physiology and clinical engineering, cytoscreeners, laboratory support staff and perfusionists, technicians/technologists who work in anatomical pathology, audiology, dentistry, physiological measurements and cardiology, gastroenterology, hearing, respiratory, medical physics, engineering, renal, physiology, neurophysiology, and medical illustrators and photography, dental auxiliaries, hygienists and therapists, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy assistants.

Why claim through you?

We’re the UK’s leading specialist in this type of claim and we paid out more than 70,000 rebates last year alone. Unlike other companies we’re a member firm of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales and we are fully qualified to give tax advice, we’re not just a claims handler. If you’ve already attempted to claim yourself, even if you’ve already had a rebate, we’re interested to hear from you as it’s likely that we can claim some extra tax back for you.


8 Responses to “Unison Tax Rebate”

  1. Michelle Beaumont

    I am a health care assistant and a member of the GMB can I claim ?


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: