Security Industry Tax Rebate


If you work in the security industry you may be able to obtain a tax refund. This is because you are entitled to claim tax relief on certain costs of your employment that are deemed “wholly and necessarily” for the purposes of your employment. This basically means you can claim back for the cost of things that you needed to do your job.

Uniform Tax Rebate

If you wear a uniform you can claim tax back for laundry of this at You can claim the standard rate of £60. This means you can claim tax back on the allowance at the highest rate of tax you pay, so you’d usually get 20% or 40% of that amount back, which would be £12 or £24 per year. You can also backdate that allowance over the 4 previous tax years so it could be worth between £48 and £96 in total.

What about for buying my own uniform and boots?

The allowance of £60 per year is only for laundry so if you have to purchase safety clothing or boots or pay for your own uniform you can claim for the cost of this too. You can claim for this at the same time as your claim, just enter the amounts you spent on the paper form after entering your details.

Do I need to provide receipts?

You shouldn’t have to provide receipts but you do need to be able to say roughly what you spent in each year. If you are claiming for a significant amount of expenditure it can help if you can provide a list of the items you purchased and their approximate cost. If you can’t remember the cost it can help to refer to an equipment store to check how much the items would cost now.


At we’ve come across a few cases where HMRC has rejected claims because receipts weren’t provided, however we have successfully contested these and obtained compensation where the claims were incorrectly rejected. If you claimed through us and HMRC rejects your claim for this reason you can return details to us and we will contest their decision.

Can I claim for my SIA Licence?

You can also claim tax back on the cost of your SIA (Security Industry Authority) registration. You can claim for this at the same time as your claim, just write the amounts you spent on the paper form after entering your details. We can help you out with SIA registration cost rates so you won’t need to go through your old bank statements.

You get the tax back on the amount you paid for the registration so it’s usually £44 to £88 per registration.  You may have to purchase more than one SIA licence depending on the activities you perform in your job. If you have to buy a licence for manned guarding, cash and valuables in transit, close protection, door supervision, security guarding and public space supervision (CCTV) you can claim for each licence which could total £264 to £528 in tax back over 4 years.

Can I claim for training?

You can’t claim on training to be a security guard. You may be able to claim for the cost of certain mandatory training within the course of your job if you are contractually obliged to pay for it.

What about the future years?

Once you’ve claimed you should get the allowance automatically in your pay and you shouldn’t need to claim again, however if the subscriptions you pay change you may need to enter another claim to keep the allowances up to date.

How do I claim?

Just visit and enter your details to get the forms to claim. It’s really easy to do and you can complete your part of the claim in less than 5 minutes.

About us

We’ve completed more than 100,000 tax rebate claims and by using us you are benefiting from the knowledge, expertise and experience of fully qualified tax experts.

16 Responses to “Security Industry Tax Rebate”

  1. simon Richmond

    Thank you for giving this information. Myself will be getting onto this soon as possible . Im many others will be doing the same after reading this information .many thanks simon.

    • The Rabbit

      Yes, if you don’t wear a uniform, but you’ll have to make it very clear on the paper forms that you are only applying for the SIA licence cost.

      If you wear do wear a uniform and launder it yourself you’ll have to claim for both on the form otherwise you may get an existing allowance taken away.

  2. aaron russell

    can i make a clame if my security job is a secand job as i am full time in the army?


    • The Rabbit

      You can backdate it to the 4 previous tax years. Currently this is to April 2009, however it this oldest year will be lost at the beginning of April 2014.

  3. allen anderson

    what if your self-employed as a security officer can they claim. and what can you claim


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: