Dental Nurse Tax Rebate

Dental nurses could be missing out on a tax rebate.

Dental nurses could be missing out on a tax rebate.


If you are a dental nurse you may be able to obtain a tax rebate. This is because you are entitled to claim tax relief on certain costs of your employment that are deemed “wholly and necessarily” for the purposes of your employment. This basically means you can claim back for the cost of things that you needed to do your job.

Common things that you can claim for are subscriptions and registrations you pay to bodies such as the General Dental Council (GDC), and the British Association of Dental Nurses (BADN). If you are a member of Unison you can also claim for those costs.

Dental nurses also frequently need to pay for CPD courses in order to stay up to date, and some also need to pay for professional indemnity insurance. These costs may also be tax deductible depending on your contractual terms.


In addition it is also possible to claim an allowance for the laundry of your uniform, a dental nurse can claim on the same basis as any other nurse which means you can also claim the allowance for shoes and tights/socks.

You can backdate your claim 4 years and you usually get 20% of the expenditure you incurred back. You can also get the tax relief added to your tax code which means you’ll get your 20% back automatically in future years.

Visit to get the forms to claim. You won’t need to provide receipts, just provide a reasonable estimate of the amount you paid in each year. We can also help you out with historical subscription rates if you don’t have your own records.

7 Responses to “Dental Nurse Tax Rebate”

  1. mayuri

    Hello, I haven’t claimed any tax rebate in past
    4yrs. Can you help or guide me how to claim this
    Much appreciated.

    Mrs Dixir

    • The Rabbit

      Therapists/hygenists can claim. If you are self employed you should be claiming these costs when you do your tax return.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: