Hairdresser Tax Rebate

Hairdresser scissors and combs

If you are a hairdresser you may be able to obtain a tax rebate. This is because you are entitled to claim tax relief on certain costs of your employment that are deemed “wholly and necessarily” for the purposes of your employment. This basically means you can claim back for the cost of things that you needed to do your job.

Hair Products Online

Uniform Tax Rebate

If you wear a uniform you can claim tax back for laundry of this at www.uniformtaxrebate.co.uk. Your uniform should clearly identify you as an employee or be of a protective nature. Normally for a hairdresser this would mean it would require permanent logos or branding from your employer, however if you have to wear an apron or tunic you could also qualify, regardless of whether they have logos.

The Funky Group, Click here

Claim for scissors, combs, hairdryers and other equipment

You can also claim for any tools you need to purchase to do your job, so if you purchase your own scissors, combs or hairdryer you can claim for the cost of that too. You can claim for this at the same time as your www.uniformtaxrebate.co.uk claim, just enter the amounts you spent on the paper form after entering your details.

Do I need to provide receipts?

You shouldn’t have to provide receipts but you do need to be able to say roughly what you spent in each year. If you are claiming for a significant amount of expenditure it can help if you can provide a list of the items you purchased and their approximate cost.

At www.uniformtaxrebate.co.uk we’ve come across a few cases where HMRC has rejected claims because receipts weren’t provided, however we have successfully contested these and obtained compensation where the claims were incorrectly rejected. If you claimed through us and HMRC rejects your claim for this reason you can return details to us and we will contest their decision.

If I don’t have receipts how can I work out how much I spent?

You’ve probably got an idea of which items you’ve bought; you may even still have all of the equipment you purchased in the last 4 years. List all the things you can remember buying, it’s possible that you may forget something but it’s usually still worth claiming on the items you can remember buying.

Once you’ve got your list if you can’t remember how much each item cost you can usually value the items by looking at what they would cost now on a hairdressing supplies website. Once you’ve done that you just need to add up the total to work out what you spent in each year.

How much is it worth?

You usually get the tax back on what you spent, so for a £100 pair of scissors you’d get £20 back in tax, a £50 hairdryer £10 and a £20 brush £4 and so on. On top of that you’d get the uniform laundry allowance which is worth around £12 per year. It’s worth claiming for the other expenditure if you have it as it will significantly increase your rebate.

You can backdate your claim 4 years even if you don’t work at the same company anymore.

We’ve completed more than 100,000 tax rebate claims and by using us you are benefiting from the knowledge, expertise and experience of fully qualified tax experts.

73 Responses to “Hairdresser Tax Rebate”

• The Rabbit

If you are self employed you should be claiming on your annual tax return.

1. lindsay

Hi could I have forms sent out to me to claim my tools thanx
    Kind regards L Millin

• The Rabbit

You can backdate it over the 4 previous tax years, so at them moment you can backdate it to 2009.

2. vicky

Ive beem self employed for the last two years could I claim for the previous two before going self employed ?

3. caryk

I have already claimed my tax back for the uniform but never cliamed the tax back on the tools/equipment i buy as i am a hairdresser, could i fill out this form again to claim the tax back for my tools. plus do i have to have receipts for the items or can an estimate be ok?

• The Rabbit

Yes you can fill out the form again. You shouldn’t need to provide receipts, an estimate should be enough.

4. Nicky

What about part time workers that have to wear a uniform( with logo) but don’t earn enough to pay tax to claim an allowance for washing it – thanks

• The Rabbit

If you haven’t paid any tax you can’t get a tax rebate.

5. leanne monaghan

my national insurance number is in my step dads surname but my employment and birth cert passport are in my birth name.I didn’t change it legally how can I prove I am who I am to claim .

• The Rabbit

Reply in the name your tax record is in or update your tax record with HMRC before you claim.

6. jane barker

I’ve had this issue with my accountant the last 2 years don’t have s logo uniform but do have to buy seperate black or dark clothing which gets bleached out ,I esimate I spend £200 a year my accountant says I can’t claim as its not a proper uniform .

7. sarah

Can u still claime if u are out of work just now? Even thought will b claiming for when a was workin?

• The Rabbit

You can backdate it to 2009, even if you aren’t working there anymore.

• The Rabbit

self employed can claim these expenses but you should be doing it on your tax return.

8. natalie

Can you reclaim a rebate if enrolling in a hairdressing course september, Or isit for qualified employed hairdressers?.

9. Sofiaf

Is this just for hairdressers or can beauticians apply for this as I also have my own manicure tools and uniform that in the past I had to provide myself and also have to buy more tops in the place I work now?

10. Lynette mckeown

Can i claim back for my uniform & tools for being a hairdresser? I had to quit my job last summer though to have a baby so can i still claim for the years when i did work?

• The Rabbit

You have to be claiming for equipment of your job, not studies to be a hairdresser.

11. Suzy

As a builder providing the tools u Wotk with even though you are employed through a company can u claim for that? And claim protective workwear?

12. Dawn

How do I prove I am a hairdresser? and what if I make up a load of stuff that I “bought” how can you prove that its all legitimate?

• The Rabbit

You don’t have to prove your a hairdresser, however HMRC will review your employment record, so they should be able to tell. We don’t condone or recommend that you put in a fraudulent claim.

13. debra Duffy

Can u still claim even if ur business has never earnt enough to pay tax ?

• The Rabbit

It’s for employees, not business owners. If you haven’t paid tax you can’t get a tax rebate.

14. Jerri bre

What if you dong earn enough to be self employed but sti do hairdressing can you claim?

• The Rabbit

It’s not for self employed. There is no lower earnings limit to be self employed, you are either self employed or you are not.

15. Lisa kevern

If you dont have a specific uniform but have to wear black and white can u claim for uniform aswell?

• The Rabbit

It has to be a uniform, not a dress code. An apron or tunic could constitute a uniform.

• The Rabbit

It’s the same form. Just enter the amount you paid for equipment in the boxes provided on the paper forms.

16. Carina

I’ve been part time for the past 2 years and not payed tax for those can I still claim for the previous 2 years.

• The Rabbit

You can claim for all the years but you’ll only get a refund from the years you paid tax.

17. clara

Can I claim if I am not working anymore but was hairdressing for 4years ago?

18. sophie

I sent my form off 2 weeks ago, still haven’t heard anything. How long after you sent the claim form after do they get back to you.

• The Rabbit

Most claims are completed within 12 weeks, however, this depends on the workload at your local tax office but if you have not received any correspondence within 4 months we recommend you resubmit the forms and we can lodge a new claim with HMR&C.

19. lindsay

Hi I received a letter from the tax with the amount I’m owed I rang them and they said they’ve sent the cheque to yous? So when will I be receiving the money I’m owed?

20. riyz

hi …i already have claimed the tax i paid with my employment
    can i still claim for the uniform too?